Location: County of San Mateo
The Human Services Agency (HSA) of the County of San Mateo is seeking 12 qualified applicants for the position of Children's Services Social Worker II / III in the Children and Family Services Division.
Social Workers within this Division provide a wide variety of Child Welfare Services to neglected, abused, or dependent children and their families in order to ensure the health, welfare, and safety of children; keep children with their families by providing services which would safely maintain the children in the home; arrange substitute care in relatives' homes, shelter care, foster care, group homes and institutions when necessary; develop a permanency plan for children who are unable to return home; and effectively work with a team of professionals comprised of diverse backgrounds. In addition, Social Workers in this Division perform safety and risk assessments; provide crisis intervention; make referrals for children and families; participate in processing children taken into custody pending juvenile court action; appear and present cases in court; write court reports and treatment/case plans; and serve as officers of the juvenile court, acting for and as directed by the court in all relationships with their clients.
Assignments on the Children and Family Services unit may include Intake/Screening, Emergency Response, Adoption, Permanent Placement, Family Maintenance & Reunification, Aftercare, Licensing and Court Investigations. Emergency response has day shifts, after-hour shifts and weekend shifts.
The Human Services Agency is primarily seeking candidates who are available to work daytime: Tuesday through Saturday for the Emergency Response Unit. Additionally, swing shift positions are available, including evening and overnight hours and regular daytime hours.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Mastery of core Child Welfare Services competencies
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in a Counseling program emphasizing Marriage, Family and Child Counseling or Marriage and Family Therapy
- Knowledge of various techniques in interviewing, counseling, family engagement and problem solving
- Knowledge of trauma informed assessment and intervention
- Knowledge of ages and stages of child development
- Knowledge of the grief and loss cycles/process
- Knowledge of substance abuse treatment modalities
- Work experience in establishing rapport with clients and their families of diverse backgrounds
- Successfully manage multiple, competing priorities
- The ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Possession of a Master's Degree in Social Work is highly desirable
- Preferably, the ability to speak Spanish; candidates must pass the Spanish fluency examination
- II Level: One year of experience performing duties comparable to those of a Level I Children's Services Social Worker
- III Level: Two years of experience performing duties comparable to those of a II Level Children's Services Social Worker
Final Filing Date: November 28, 2017
To learn more about all available positions and to apply online, please visit our website at http://jobs.smcgov.org. Applications are only accepted online. EOE